Re: dhclient and dhcp update require restart?

Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Matthew
>
> Woehlke<mw_triad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > No, the easiest method is:
> >
> > "The following updates require their respective services to be restarted
> > for the updates to take effect. <List of services.> Proceed? [Yes] [No]"
>
> I don't think it makes sense to treat everything that presently has an
> /etc/init.d script equally.  For example, if cupsd has no queue, it's
> probably safe for it to just restart itself at some period of time.
> Probably the easiest way to implement this would be a flag in the init
> script which says whether it's safe to "service restart" on updates.

I thought a condrestart in %post was the way to do this for those services
that can be restarted safely.

> For other things, an important question is whether the currently
> running desktop depends on it.  If it does, it's not safe to have such
> a UI.

For those services I think a message should be displayed to inform the user
that some of the updates will take effect the next time they log out. If it's a
security update, the message should urge the user to log out and log in again
as soon as possible.

Björn Persson