Re: Debugging Lockup

Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:

Hi, my system repeatedly locks up. This seems to occur while working
with evolution, but I'm not sure. I use Fedora-development and GNOME.
When it locks up I can move the mouse cursor, but can't click anywhere.
I can't restart X, and can't switch with CTRL-ALT-F*. System responsds
to sysrq. There's no Oops or bug in the log. I have 100k log consisting
of all the kernel messages from boot to reboot, including a sysrq-trace.
I use the binary nvidia driver.

Would this be helpful to anyone to diagnose my problem, and who would
that be? Is this a kernel problem or an X problem, or...

IOW, what can I do to help fix this.

Thanks for your time,

I.G.

You might want to check the other lists. (Fedora-list and Fedora-test-list). Though a problem that related to drm killing a server for me seemed to indicate a locked up server on a system that I run. The display left all that was displayed before X died out because of an error related to DRM. The terminals and keyboard worked though there was no visual indication from an exited X.

Did you try logging into a terminal blindly, then try running a command from the terminal? (After lockup or departed X)

[drm:i830_wait_ring] *ERROR* space: 131052 wanted 131064

I believe this error was displayed under /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Do you have any such errors  in this log?

Also querying bugzilla might show errors/fixes/workarounds if searched. Bugzilla was unresponsive when I checked a few minutes ago. It should work soon though. (Unless I was blocked :-) )

Jim