Re: IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Panu Matilainen wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Hans de Goede wrote:

Thanks for all the reactions, below I'll react to the interesting ones:

-no I haven't timed this yett, but making gdm start before things like network, sendmail, anacron, cups, etc should really speed things up (i think). If there is genuine interest in this, which there seems to be I'll write some initial test patches.
-about the preload work / multithreaded patches. Those are real optmizations, which require lott of work and add a lott of complexity, thats not what this is about. Havoc understands what I want todo, this is not about actually speeding up the boot process, this is about giving the user soemthing to laak at /type in ASAP, and then start things like networking, cups etc after this.

You'll have to have network and various other "useless" things running before user can login in case of networked authentication methods, /home over NFS etc. This gets us back to the "initscripts with dependencies" which didn't bring that much improvement, though I certainly wouldn't mind 10% faster boot and then start gdm as soon as possible, leaving things that *really* don't matter like anacron to start up later.

If you would have taken the time to fully read my first mail, then you would have known that I've concidered this case.

99% if the non-corperate) desktop users don't use network authentication, or /home on NFS.

Regards,

Hans

--
EuropeSwPatentFree http://EuropeSwPatentFree.hispalinux.es