Re: IDEA: Shortening boot-time

--On Saturday, July 24, 2004 2:57 AM +0200 David Nielsen <dnielsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As a desktop user, and considering I have to pay the power bill, I
prefer to shut my computer down whenever I don't use it, why should I
keep it up aside showing off the size of my member by having a
proportionally huge uptime?
For most users it serves no logical purpose to have an always on
solution, and there's no reason why our boot time should be suboptimal.

A good point, but note that "not always on" does not necessarily mean "needs to boot". That's why hibernation was invented. There's no reason you couldn't hibernate a laptop, and have huge "up times" with the power removed. The question then becomes what kind of hibernation support is available under Linux.