Re: IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 03:16:50PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:

The last time this was tried, the total speedup was on the order of
10% or so. Perhaps it's changed, but it wasn't a extreme speedup.

Yeah, I remember that. But hey, I'll take 10%. And it's probably somewhat
more on SMP and hyperthreading system.

And really, speedup and parallelization is only an incidental benefit --
it'd be nice for services to know what they need before they start, rather
than depending on magic number ordering.

I am not sure it was 10% or that SMP/hyperthreading is going to make a difference. Most of the time I can tell looks to be stuck on diskdrive. And depending on the disk-drive.. that can be sloooooow. [My Dell laptop disk-drive is incredibly slow on random seeks. It causes all kinds of slowdowns at times I wish it didnt. What would be interesting would be if a pseudo ramdisk of /etc startups would speed anything up (though the copying of it into RAM would probably be as expensive.)

Crazy idea. Make /etc RAID-1 with a ramdisk (well not really, but I think I am conveying the idea). Any changes get mirrored to disk, and initial reads are incredibly fast. Do it with /dev also..