Re: Proposal to Drop Fedora 12 Features

Jarod Wilson wrote:
On Thursday 16 July 2009 20:25:36 Jon Ciesla wrote:
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:11 PM, John
Poelstra<poelstra@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hi
FESCo,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XZRpmPayloads https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F12X86Support
Afaik those are blocking on
1) xz review request
2)
rel-eng to coordinate a mass rebuild

Has anyone taken concrete
steps for a i586 secondary arch yet?

For the most part, its not (yet) necessary. We throttled back the
definition of i686 from "i686 + cmov + sse2" or some such to just
"i686 + cmov", so there are very few systems that would be served by
an i586 secondary arch right now. i.e., Athlon XP, Pentium III, etc.,
which *would* have been relegated to i586, are still going to be
supported by i686, and we've talked about adding a cmov trap-and-emu
function to keep supporting the few i686 procs w/o cmov, which really
leaves only the original Pentium series that would benefit from an
i586 secondary arch. At least, that's my vague recollection of it all
right now... :)

If this is the case, which is what I was hoping I remembered, then I agree with you that we don't *really* need it. Bill, can you clarify the sse2 or no sse2 distinction, and possibly on the wiki page as well, since it was such a large thread? :)

It's a shame to end old hardware support, as it's always been one of my favourite things about Linux in general, but if I ever have any of that sort of hardware, I can make do. . .

--
in your fear, speak only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie