Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] dracut-0.3

On 07/02/2009 03:26 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
Hi Harald,

On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 12:59 +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
Here it is, dracut-0.3!
Thanks for your efforts, this is excellent.

We've started using it for OLPC's F11 spin, including our own modules to
implement OLPC features. So much nicer than what we had before!

However, the spec file already pulls in a lot of dependencies, things
like device-mapper and cryptsetup which we won't need. Especially for
XO-1 we need to work to keep images small (1GB hard disk).

Is there any chance that this could be split up, and the more exotic
dependencies moved into subpackages?

Cheers,
Daniel

The idea is to pregenerate a generic initrd and package it in an rpm and
deliver it together with the kernel. There should be no need to generate the
initrd on an X0-1 itsself.

How does this work for changing plymouth spash plugins as I seem to
remember these are installed into the initrd?

Peter

Right, didn't think of that one.. ah well.. maybe package all plugins and make the theme selectable on the command line.