Re: Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Jon Ciesla (limb@xxxxxxxxxxxx) said:
PLEASE do not do this.

If we stop supporting Pentium II and Pentium III, I have to buy a whole lot of new hardware. Dead serious.

Could we do i686 as a secondary arch, and swap with i386 further in the future?

While I understand you may have a lot of older hardware, the point of a
*seconday* architecture is that it's not the primary architecture target.
Even if we didn't split off older CPUs, we're still primarily targeting
newer machines.

Bill

Understood. Currently, it's not just that I have a lot of older hardware (though I do), it's that I have little newer hardware. Do we have a policy on having to have access to a machine of a primary architecture?

--
in your fear, speak only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie