Re: rpmconf - tool to handle rpmnew and rpmsave files

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009, Jan Kratochvil wrote:

Hi,

from these tools only Gentoo looks to me to do the right thing - one has to do
a 3-files merge.  Just having the old modified file and the new unmodified
files has no solution how to do the automatic merge = how to get the new
configuration file with all the local changes of the old file brought in.

rpm should save originals of all the configuration files it installs.
On Fedora I have to save them by hand before modifying any config file (I save
them to <name>-orig files).  Then by hand (or by the automated attached
script) do the diff/patch merge.

If you want to have all config files of all pkgs you're installing saved into a safe location it would not be a very complicated yum plugin to do it.

-sv