Re: Announcing Fedora Activity Day - Fedora Development Cycle 2009

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Jesse Keating wrote:

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 08:55 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
If the FAD identifies some tangibles (hardware, etc.) that would help
alleviate some of the time problems, I can tell you that Spot and I
will do our best to procure them.  From what I've heard others
describe up until now, it doesn't seem like there's one clear
roadblock in that regard -- just a huge mountain of tasks that our
current systems have to chug through for composing, and no matter how
you slice it, it takes a lot of time and I/O bandwidth.

Well upgrading all the buildsystem and storage system to 10gigE, and
replacing the 10TB or so filer with something that has fantastically
fast disks would certainly reduce the amount of I/O wait time, but
that's going to cost a /lot/ of money.  We are still trying to find
where our bottlenecks are.  We had a pretty good handle on things prior
to delta rpms, but now we've gone from 3~ hour null composes (no changed
packages) to nearly 9 hour null composes.  There is obviously some
optimization to be had here.

And the optimization there is fairly well known. We need to read in and not change the prestodelta file. It's on my short-ish createrepo list.

-sv