Re: Agenda for the 2009-05-26 Packaging Committee meeting

On 05/26/2009 10:27 PM, Iain Arnell wrote:
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 7:10 AM, Tim Lauridsen
<tim.lauridsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

soft-deps (Suggests/Recommends) is really hard to handle at the depsolver
level. A depsolver need to now the hard ones, not stuff like 'it would look
very nice to have pink bracelet to my little pony'. It is hard to make good
decisions based on that, a asking the user every time is not a good solution
IMO. You will need to take a popquiz every time you what to install a
package.
I can see that the information can be useful at a high level gui or in some
kind of appstore. People there have bought 'foo' have also bought 'bar'. But
at the lowlevel like rpm/yum is not very useful, because we don't have the
needed infomation to make a good decision.

I wouldn't think it's that hard to implement.  When installing a new
package, simply treat Suggests as Requires; when removing a package
just ignore Suggests completely.  Only upgrading adds a little
complexity - if new version Suggests something that the old version
doesn't, treat it as Requires (so that I get new optional pony
accessories automatically), otherwise ignore it (so that I can throw
away that optional pink bracelet and not have it come back every time
I update).

Note that that would be horrible behaviour for also keeping a minimal packageset.

-Toshio