Re: Package Maintainers Flags policy

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 18:18 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> This should explain the reason why country flags shouldn't show up in
> interfaces:
> http://community.livejournal.com/xkbconfig/982.html
>
> (I didn't even read the policy, but I guess it's the same one we had
> arguments over in GNOME 6 years ago, and a bit before that in RH
> itself).
>
> It could cause problems in Europe, in Asia, and in North America (and
> that's just on top of my head).

And the Middle East.  The display of certain flags here is can be a
bit...interesting.  I understand the desire for pretty icons, but having
the wrong icon show up in front of the wrong person in the school I
teach at could have some very unpleasant effects. (And, yes, we are
running Fedora on our workstations, so this isn't a completely
theoretical problem)

So, please, leave the flag icons out of the main packages.

Thanks,
Jonathan