Re: 182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

On Fri, 8 May 2009, Adam Williamson wrote:

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think PackageKit / yum integration would definitely be the way to go.

Goes back to the underlying issue... how do you notify the user that
package foo came from updates-testing  X number of minutes/hours/days
of testing..after system installation..so they can report back after
those X number of minutes/hourse/days of testing?

We don't record from which repository a package was installed from. To
know what maybe installed from testing you have to be clever and do
something like yum --disablerepo=updates-testing list extras  diffed
against yum list extras.

That sounds extremely ugly. I think if we want to have more metadata
about packages, we should start tracking it at the appropriate level -
rpm or yum should track that information. If we're not willing to do
that, we shouldn't try and implement ugly hacks to generate the metadata
some other way.

There already is an accurate way of tracking this: package signatures. For example, this'll give you the packages that came from F10 testing:

rpm -qa --qf "%{name}-%{version}-%{release}\t%{dsaheader:pgpsig}\n"|grep "Key ID 92a1023d0b86274e"|cut -f1

It doesn't tell you if/when the package gets moved from testing to updates of course, but it does tell you where a given package *originated* from.

	- Panu -