Status of aic79xx driver in the linux kernel

I have been having some problems with an Adaptec 39320A-R card and have been poking around and found that the driver in the kernel claims to be derived from an Adaptec version 2.0.15 which was release in October 2005! There is a later version on the Adaptec site from April 2007 - 2.0.26.

I was wondering if anybody knows the actual status of the driver in the kernel i.e. has it diverged so far that the Adaptec updates are moot; have they already been incorporated into the kernel but the docs not updated to reflect this, or ...

I ask because I am trying to decide whether to invest the time to look at integrating the latest Adaptec drop to see if my problems go away.

Howard.