Re: Things to do this week instead of arguing about mixers

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:

I think for downloading RPMs, yum would know on a per-file basis how
much space was needed.  I think this is what Seth meant.

But that's not really a big deal. If you run out of disk space downloading the pkgs it just doesn't matter b/c you're not in the middle of a transaction. Other than it being annoying, you're not out anything, just a little time.

Likewise, for installing, it's possible (I think?) from the RPM file
itself to know the sizes of the files that will be created during the
transaction, and thus preallocate each one.  This logic would go into
RPM itself, I guess.

But rpm won't be able to protect that the entire transaction will not run out of disk space. Which is an ugly problem to protect against.

-sv