Re: The Great Pulseaudio Mixer Debate: a modest (productive) proposal

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: The Great Pulseaudio Mixer Debate: a modest (productive) proposal
From: Ben Boeckel <MathStuf@xxxxxxxxx>
To: fedora-devel-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: 04/27/2009 10:12 AM

I've had X lock up or temporarily freeze and kaffeine (playing through PA via xine) still plays. The only way I've been able to get it to skip is to force basically everything into swap with programs that take up 3+GB of RAM (making markov chains from big.txt takes...quite a bit in duck-typed languages). Maybe it's the dual core 3.0GHz, but I've found it hard to skip apps using PA. PA is taking 0% CPU and kaffeine jumps to 1% playing flac files. Also, PA hasn't even jumped towards the top of usage at all in the past few minutes.

That's amazing, because I have a 3ghz dual core and PA takes ~10% CPU to play FLAC from Rhythmbox and can skip if I'm doing a lot of work - say ffmpeg transcoding and moving files. Intel HD audio (yes, generic) Analog Devices chip.