Re: The Great Pulseaudio Mixer Debate: a modest (productive) proposal

> So I suggest what we should do is resurrect gnome-alsamixer. It's still
> technically part of GNOME - it's even got moved to the new GNOME git.
> Other distributions still package it (Debian, for e.g.) It's even had a
> few commits within the last year or so. It was more or less deprecated
> in favour of g-v-c, but now we have a case where it may make sense to
> have two clearly differentiated apps, and gnome-alsamixer is the obvious
> choice.
>
> I just pulled the latest code out of git and threw together a package
> (based on the spec from Mandriva, since I had it lying around). It
> builds and works fine - you get the kind of interface most people will
> be expected, a tabbed window with each of your available output devices
> on a tab, and the typical 'bunch o' sliders' layout for each device. In
> the package I've added a menu entry with the name "Advanced Volume
> Control" and the comment "Full hardware access volume control
> application".

It would be good to have some text on this app that instructs people to
file bugs if they have to resort to it.  That way we can capture the use
cases that the default mixer is missing and help the developers better
target things.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project          (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)