Re: How to cross-upgrade Fedora x86(32-bit) => x86_64(64-bit) using 'preupgrade'

Gerry Reno wrote:
Mat Booth wrote:
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 5:41 AM, Gerry Reno <greno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
For the past couple months I've been working on finding a way to
successfully upgrade Fedora x86(32-bit) to x86_64(64-bit). I had almost
given up because nothing seemed to work despite dozens of different
approaches. Then a couple days ago I started a new set of experiments and now I have successfully cross-upgraded three different systems using this technique. On the three machines that I used, all the configs that I set up were still in place after the upgrade. The machines behaved normally and I have not found any sign of problems yet. But, it would be difficult to see
how this technique could ever be fully automated because it requires a
certain amount of manual inspection in a number of places.  And it's
probably something that could not be officially supported. But at least it
appears there may now be a technique to perform a successful 32-bit =>
64-bit upgrade. And for those who have heavily configured machines this may
be worth a try.  Anyway, here's the technique:

You sir, are a hero. I wanted to do exactly this once F11 is released
and was disappointed to learn it wasn't possible in an earlier thread
on this list (that I can't immediately find the link to).

I think I will give this a try (won't be until next month, though).
Worst case scenario is I just blat it away and reinstall from scratch,
which is what I was planning anyway.

Exactly. That's how we looked at. We had nothing to lose by trying to do this because the alternative was a complete wipe of the system anyhow.

And just a little tip for Rescue Mode. You can put the technique document into your shell history like this:
history -r DOCUMENT

Where DOCUMENT is the full filepath to the technique document. That way you can scroll to the command you want to execute without having to type the whole thing in by hand.

Regards,
Gerry