Re: changelog format

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009, Björn Persson wrote:

I gather I'm expected to write the changelog in a spec file by hand. How
strict are the requirements on the format of changelog entries?

RPMlint should be your friend. It yells at you if you do something wrong.

Are they meant to be machine-readable?
(...)
So far, RPMlint has told me that each entry must start with an asterisk and
that the international standard date format is bad. Can I trust that the
format is OK if RPMlint doesn't complain?

Should be so I think, since RPMlint is a machine, it's definately supposed to be machine-readable anyway since RPMlint is something we support.

There is also an RPM spec edit mode in Eclipse that Red Hat guys put in at some point I think, it should format the log according to some rules too.

But you're right: I've never seen a spec for this log either.

Linus