Re: My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

On 04/15/2009 08:59 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
Haha :) No, it's just that, as far as I can see, the impact on newbies
is that we tell them to reboot instead of doing ctrl-alt-backspace.

Yes, but why? There is no need to reboot the machine just because an application, X in this case, causes problem. You only have to kill X, and restart it, this is just what ctrl-alt-backspace have done in an excellent way for years. I frankly can not see why this feature should go, just because some few accidentally have pressed just that key sequence.

A better way to fix this might be to have a dialog. You presses ctrl-alt-backspace, a dialog comes up saying, I will restart X in yy seconds, with a cancel button. If X is toast, the alarm will the restart X. If this is feasible, would this alternative not be a better one than removing a feature that many likes and want to stay.

By the way, I can not recall seeing anyone complaining about that ctrl-alt-backspace have caused them problems. Could someone please give some links to discussions where this actually have happened.

/Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars@xxxxxxxx>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/