Re: My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

On 04/13/2009 04:31 PM, Andre Robatino wrote:
I think it's great that this feature can now be turned on or off via the GUI rather than having to manually edit xorg.conf. I also agree with the general principle that default settings should normally be aimed at beginning users, since it's much easier for experienced users to change the settings to their liking.

In that case I vote that ctrl-alt-backspace should be on by default.

The reason? Well, we do not want to learn new users that in case of X-windows trouble, reboot the whole machine (which in most cases is not needed). Instead, we instruct them to use ctrl-alt-backspace, as we have done for years now, to kill just the X-window.

If anyone have problem with ctrl-alt-backspace, he/she could then change the default to his/her liking. But the default ought to be on.

/Lars
(I have been using emacs since 1987, and never accidentally pressed ctrl-alt-backspace...)
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars@xxxxxxxx>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/