Re: F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

* Michal Hlavinka <mhlavink@xxxxxxxxxx> [20090331 13:06]:
> On Tuesday 31 March 2009 12:56:38 Anders Rayner-Karlsson wrote:
> > IIRC, and I believe that was pointed out in this thread as well, is
> > that these keypresses are handled in the same way by the same part of
> > the X server. If C-A-Bs works, so will C-A-F2 to drop you at a vc.
>
> and in this thread was also pointed:
>
> "When something starts to eat all resources, you can
> kill it (with whole X server if it's not the X server eating all). You
> definitely have no time to switch to vt, log in and kill it..."

And the BZ's for this observed behaviour are...?

> > Through past experience, I have never found an instance (since moving
> > from XFree86 to Xorg) where the Xserver was wedged in a way that
> > switching to a vc did not work, but C-A-Bs did. I have seen plenty of
> > X lockups (Xorg intel driver issues in F10) in the last few months and
> > not a single one of those were resolvable by C-A-Bs.
>
> you have just different user experience

That is entirely possible. I did a straw poll among my technical
colleagues (and included a Senior Director for good measure) and the
only one that uses C-A-Bs (due to flaws in suspend/resume) is the
Senior Director. No-one else could find a reason to retain C-A-Bs as
enabled by default.

Maybe - and here's the rub - disabling the ability to kill X
willy-nilly would encourage people to file bugs against the
applications that really misbehave, allowing for an overall
improvement of stability, usability and end user experience?

Or perhaps some people are perfectly content having to shoot their X
server on a regular basis because they can't be asked to file a
bug... That's real community spirit at play, right there.

--
/Anders