Re: F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Colin Walters wrote:
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rodd Clarkson wrote:
I'm figuring that something should be attempted so that we don't have to
go through this conversation a third time when f11 is released. ;-]
I think that's just futile. The only way NOT to have those threads spring up
like mushrooms is to reenable that feature by default.

No, the right solution is to examine the cases for why people were
using the key before,

c-a-bs to me is an "ejection seat button"
=> disabling it is not helpful

and come up with a design which addresses them.

The cases I press it typically are "cases of emergencies"

This may involve writing *new code*, as opposed to e.g. just turning
on whatever code happens to exist now elsewhere (referring to the
kernel sysrq key).

While I think it's crazy to have a magic key combination which
instantly logs you out without any confirmation, it'd be very useful
to have some kind of "oh crap" key to recover from things like a
wedged fullscreen application, stuck X server grab, etc.
Windows think: "Pilot, Do you really want to eject the seat, ... Confirm ejecting the seat"