Re: F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Gerry Reno wrote:
> This is a big deal because now some tiny minority has lobbied for
> changes to X that end up affecting a large community.  And the bogus
> arguments about user getting confused about keys is just that totally
> bogus.  I've never had a user complain about X control key
> combinations.  Emacs users complain because Emacs wants to have the same
> key control sequences as Xorg.  That's just wrong.  And as a sys admin
> if you're not willing to stand up and say that's wrong, then watch for
> more ridiculous changes coming your way in the future.

I agree here, I think disabling Ctrl+Alt+BkSp by default makes no sense
whatsoever.

Sure, it's just a default setting, but that doesn't mean the default
shouldn't be sane.

And setting defaults is one of the things a distribution is for. I disagree
about the assertion that we should blindly follow upstream defaults.
Several packages have Fedora-specific default configurations. KDE even has
a kde-settings package for that purpose (and no, there's no way we're going
to remove that package). Many other packages ship with config files which
differ from upstream's defaults.

        Kevin Kofler