Re: InstantMirror Project: Google Summer of Code 2009

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
I disagree with this assessment. IntelligentMirror has turned into quite an
interesting project. It's gone well beyond its original scope as a caching
mechanism for packages. There's no point in being rude about it.

Wasn't the orignal idea his as well? I thought he was simply hateful
of his own idea. Happens to me all the time.

The original InstantMirror was an attempt to make a reverse proxy server suitable for a yum repository. I quickly decided that approach was a dead-end architecturally then got busy on other things.

https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/browser/scripts/proxy-mirror
I ended up making a really simple squid-based solution that works just fine with standard squid.conf options. Various folks have been using this solution for HTTP-only caching mirrors in production for a while now, mostly for local area network mirrors in branch offices or homes.

The IntelligentMirror guy took that original idea then went off in his own direction. He asked me to be involved last year, but I was disinterested because his web page was confusing, and what I could figure out I believed to be the wrong direction. I fail to see how intelligentmirror's squid redirector plugin is any improvement over standard squid.conf options. Something positive came out of this though, it seems he learned skills and eventually implemented videocache, which is useful.

https://fedorahosted.org/InstantMirror/wiki/ExistingRepositoryReplicationMethods
Folks have never been fully satisfied with squid HTTP-only reverse caching proxy. A full mirror wants real directories that can be served over multiple protocols or copied. I have thus been thinking about how to combine the benefits of the traditional rsync mirror with the robustness of an on-demand caching mirror.

https://fedorahosted.org/InstantMirror/
The new InstantMirror proposal solves these problems. Rik van Riel and I brainstormed these details back on November 26th, 2008, but I haven't had the time to write it all down until now. Several students have been bugging me in the last week to write this up for Google SoC 2009. Here it goes. If we can make this proposal work it will be an awesome step forward.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx