Re: Google Summer of Code 2009 - Call for Ideas

On 27.02.2009 17:58, Patrick W. Barnes wrote:
In a little over a week from now, the organization application period will be opening for Google's Summer of Code 2009. As with every past Summer of Code, we will be applying. After we put in our application, the Google Code team may review our ideas list and some of our other resources as they determine which organizations will be welcomed to participate this year. In order to boost our odds of being welcomed to participate again, we need to get our ideas list going.

Our Summer Coding pages are up at:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding

I welcome any help in not only getting ideas posted, but also making the rest of our Summer Coding pages the best they can be to help both mentors and students. These pages are not exclusive to Google's Summer of Code; they provide a central resource for our participation in any other summer development activities.

RPM Fusion currently discusses some of it's goals for the near and long term future: http://rpmfusion.org/Goals (still a draft) In that discussion the idea came up if some of the ideas could get realized as GSoC project.

Which lead to the question: Should/Could RPM Fusion apply as project itself and mentor students or would it be better for everyone (Google, Fedora, RPM Fusion) if we'd try to get the ideas realized within the Fedora project GSoC efforts even if Fedora only benefits from the results indirectly when people use RPM Fusion?

Example: One project could be: Port jockey (; see https://launchpad.net/jockey and http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/screenshots/jockey/ ) to Fedora and fully use it in RPM Fusion. Jockey itself is GPL, but it's only of interest for things that are in RPM Fusion and hence is better dealt with and shipped in RPM Fusion.

Cu
knurd