Re: Installing with separate /home partition & bug #150670

Callum Lerwick wrote:
On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 13:59 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 13:35:49 -0800,
  Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 15:25 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
You might need to be smarter than that. I have a lot installed (including
some rpmfusion stuff), but hardly everything and my / is close to 40 GB.
That's really rather big. How'd you hit that? Are you sure you don't
have some specific thing taking up a lot of space? What's du or baobab
or something tell you?
I have all of the different language stuff installed which adds quite a
bit. I don't actually use anything except English, but I like to check
for conflicts, as occasionally there will be conflicts that only appear
in a subpackage for a specific language.

games are something you'd see on a desktop install and those can take up
quite a bit of room.

Also consider how much free space you need on / to perform a
"preupgrade". Hint: a lot.

I really don't think automatically splitting /home is a good idea. Any
heuristic is just that, heuristic. It's inevitably going to fail in some
cases. The kind of people who just go with defaults are just the kind of
Aunt Tillie's we don't want hitting such heuristic failures. Those smart
enough to size / for their intended purpose aren't the ones using
defaults.

System is going to need space for update/upgrade at some stage. Size needed for preupgrade isn't going to be any larger than for a live yum upgrade. If they upgrade via DVD/CD, they'll still need to download an iso of either 700Mb or 4Gb.