make: *** No rule to make target `new-sources'. Stop.

I'm trying to update the "pl" package, and I'm getting the error in
the Subject header when I try to change the list of source files via
    make new-sources SOURCES="a b c"
I'm sure I'm doing this from within the correct directories, and I'm
also fairly sure that the same command worked about an hour ago. The
whole makefile aspect of package maintenance is basically magic to me
-- what could be wrong?

Thanks,

MEF

--
Mary Ellen Foster  --  http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mef/
Informatik 6: Robotics and Embedded Systems, Technische Universität München