Re: Heads up: mdadm-3.0-0.devel2.1.fc11 added to f11

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 11:11 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 10:43:09 -0500,
>   Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > last I knew the main benefit of dm raid over md raid was that dm raid
> > was closer to supporting cluster aware raid devices where as md raid
> > doesn't concern itself with that, and for most people this is probably a
> > good trade off, although for specific circumstances it might not be, dm
> > raid people feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that).
>
> For dual boot users if you want raid arrays visible to both linux and windows,
> md raid won't work.

It will for the Intel IMSM raid devices.  The external superblock format
support added to mdadm 3.0 allows it to write BIOS recognized metadata
for the IMSM format, so creating an array using mdadm on an IMSM
container will cause mdadm to create arrays that the BIOS recognizes as
valid (and much less tested, any standard DDF format as well, but we
aren't planning on using that, we are leaving DDF format to dmraid which
has much greater test coverage of that format).

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at