Re: what requires fedora-release-notes

Jesse Keating wrote:
Peter Vrabec (pvrabec@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
Hi folks,

why does fedora-release require fedora-release-notes? There are different aims to adjust package dependencies for security or minimal installation reasons. For example:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Server

I'm wondering if we can avoid fedora-release-notes in minimal installation.

fedora-release-notes ~ 5MB
Upgrades from prior releases where the release notes were in fedora-release,
IIRC. There may be other reasons.

Bill

The spec has this comment:

# We require release notes to make sure that they don't get dropped during
# upgrades, and just because we always want the release notes available
# instead of explicitly asked for

I do believe this rational came from Jeremy Katz when I took over
fedora-release and we split out the release notes from that package.

I would certainly entertain revisiting this issue.

I think there is no technical reason why to keep this dependency.
fedora-release-notes doesn't contain any essential files and repoquery shows that is needed only by redhat-release.
But as was mentioned, there can be another reasons to keep it.

Jesse, is there any important data in this package which needs to be shipped in Fedora at any cost?
I can imagine some legal or licensing information about Fedora.

--
Daniel Mach <dmach@xxxxxxxxxx>
Release Engineering, Red Hat