Re: how to show upstream changes to the user

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Dan Horák wrote:

Panu Matilainen píše v Út 27. 01. 2009 v 12:28 +0200:
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Dan Horák wrote:

Both sides in the "Lack if update information" thread are true. The
presented information about changes is almost useless for the user, but
rewriting the upstream changelogs into bodhi is a superfluous burden for
the maintainers. There is, in my opinion, a technical solution for this
issue that can make both sides happy.

And it is new "ChangeLog" tag in RPM. It should be an URL pointing to
upstream changelog and GUI package management tools can open a browser
window to show the content, like they do for the home page.

pros:
- low overhead for maintainer
- can provide complete info to the user even when he/she skips some
updates
- allows changelogs per sub-package

cons:
- slightly larger metadata

cons continued:
- It introduces a spec incompatibility, which can be taken care of in
   Fedora land but not so easy for EPEL side of things. Dunno if our
   buildsys ever does anything with the rpmbuild of the host system
   (I seem to recall it doing some part there but could easily be wrong),
   IF so this is pretty much a no-go.

I can't comment the buildsys issues, but it can be useful to break the
compatibility (in one direction only) now and then.

To keep people on their toes, yes :) Part of the problem is that rpm has remained compatible for so long people simply take it for granted and whenever something new is suggested, bunch of folks goes wild over "but you cant do that it breaks compatibility to RHEL 3" or whatever.

Would be trivial to add, sure. The question is, would it make any
difference to either
a) asking packagers to add pointer to existing %changelog when rebasing
    packages

There is a chance that the changelog attached in the source archive is
developer oriented (based on CVS/SVN/whatever) while the web-based one
is user oriented.

I sense a misunderstanding here... what I meant is instead of just the "update to x.y.z", drop in a link too - simply something like (taking sqlite has an example):

* Thu Jan 22 2009 Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@xxxxxxxxxx> - 3.6.10-1
- update to 3.6.10 (http://www.sqlite.org/releaselog/3_6_10.html)

Having something like that in the existing changelog would mean it's also trivial to browse back in history, whereas a single tag would only point to the current release.

b) have such a field in bodhi instead

The keyword should be "automation". Why to copy&paste when it can be
done by script. I can imagine a "hidden" field in spec (special comment
like #changelog: http://....) that is transformed into a field in bodhi.
It can be a macro in spec that gets evaluated before including in bodhi,
etc.

If such a thing is in the package, obviously it should be pulled automatically by bodhi. You almost certainly need to copy-paste the link once anyway - if the field only exists in bodhi then there's just one copy-paste. Mind you, I'm not trying to shoot this down, just looking at possibilities :)

	- Panu -