Re: comps discussion at fudcon and the future

On 16.01.2009 07:34, Panu Matilainen wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009, Kevin Kofler wrote:
seth vidal wrote:

Really? Who is making the plans for soft deps. Doesn't seem like it at
the rpm layer.
Last I checked it was on the rpm.org todo list. Maybe it got dropped. That
would be unfortunate, because I think they could be useful, I've seen
several cases where they would have helped (just one example: Kile (a LaTeX
editor) can call many tools, most users will want them dragged in, but some
don't and Kile will still work, with reduced functionality, without them -
just grep for Requires(hint) in packages (mostly those touched by Rex
Dieter) to see more places where we'd like soft dependencies) and Debian
fans keep making fun of us because we don't have them ;-).
It hasn't been dropped, only post-poned until we figure out a bunch of details.

I don't want to get tracked into the discussions if "Requires(hint)" and other soft deps make sense to support in rpm/yum or not.

But if conditionals really go away in comps it would be really nice for external repos like RPM Fusion to have a alternative way to automatically get (for example(¹) ) xine-lib-extras-freeworld installed if the users installs (or already has installed) xine-lib.

Something like that is afaics needed to make things "just work" (²) -- and that's what we all want, isn't it?

CU
knurd

(¹) audacious, gstreamer, qmmp, k3b and some others could benefit from this, too

(²) or has somebody a better idea? A yum plugin? A daemon running in the background?