Re: comps discussion at fudcon and the future

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
Josh Boyer wrote:
Ok, but if group-metapkg has Requires on all the packages in the
group, then won't:

yum remove foo-is-part-of-group

hit the Requires on group-metapkg and have yum try to remove it,
along with everything else?

For the benefit of the list, the answer is "yes". This is why I don't like using metapackages this way; you can't selectively install them.

In fact, this reminds me... on my Asus cleanup project, one of the things I did NOT remove was the xorg-drivers package, for exactly this reason. This is one case where I want 'yum update' to know about new xorg drivers. But this means I can't remove drivers I don't need, because it will remove the metapackage, which means I won't automagically find out about new drivers.

Euhm, I can remove xorg-drivers without any dependencies, but not a xorg-x11-drv-* package. I'm not sure why these other packages depend on xorg-drivers, but that's not how a meta package would be used:

yum install @foo would install bar and baz

yum remove baz would remove baz

yum update @foo would pull in baz again, and maybe newpkg1.

In the last command, the packages baz and newpkg1 would be listed as "Installing for dependencies" (rather then "Updating").

This is actually a great example of why I would like a "group subscription" model; I could "subscribe" to xorg-drivers, and yum would tell me about new drivers, and I could decide if I want to install them, without being forced to install a bunch of drivers I don't need.

The above example does exactly what you want it to do, just not how you would like it to do so, I presume.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip