Re: comps discussion at fudcon and the future

seth vidal wrote:
On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 14:15 -0600, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
seth vidal wrote:
- users expect groups to be more persistent on their systems and to act
  more like pkgs (ie: yum update should update groups, too)
Um... Finding out about new packages is fine, but having it only work as long as you have everything in a particular group IMO isn't useful.

I'd rather see "interests", i.e. "subscribe" to certain groups to get notification of new packages in that group. And there needs to be a way to run updates without pulling new packages (and once I've declined a new package from a group I am subscribed to, I should never be prompted about it again).

you want to update your system w/o pulling down the pkgs? That's, umm,
very difficult. One might even say impossible.

No. I want to update everything currently installed, and be /offered/ anything new. By "new packages" I mean "packages that didn't exist last time I ran updates" (as opposed to "updates of already installed packages"). Sorry for the confusion.

I think what you want out of groups is beyond the scope of what we're
trying to do.

That may be. In which case, I guess the point is just that what you're doing is not something that will be useful to me, as I don't typically install entire groups (ever). (On my Asus, I even wrote a script to find all packages that are not on, or dependencies of, a "whitelist" and remove them.)

--
Matthew
"Ah, yes. Control the media and you control the world."