Re: Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:
I think there is really a better approach to this, but it doesn't mesh
all that well with RPM capabilities.  That is, for every package or
package group where there is more than one commonly desired
configuration, there should be multiple configuration packages where the
last one installed wins, conceptually similar to the way the
caching-nameserver package is just a different configuration for bind.

For KDE, this is already possible, and in fact one of the reasons why our
settings are in a separate kde-settings package.

I really meant for this to start at the top level and replace the concept of spins. Of course it could cascade down to pull custom configurations for each package where it makes sense too.

You can have a package with:
Name: kde-settings-lesmikesell
Provides: kde-settings = 1:4.1
Conflicts: kde-settings < 1:4.1 kde-settings > 1:4.1
(but I don't think we should allow such packages within Fedora, they're a
matter of personal preference and should thus be kept local).

Ideally there would be a way for anyone to publish a customized setup that others could duplicate automatically. I've always thought that a few hundred choices could cover almost all of the ways that anyone would need. But, I'm not sure that hardware configuration choices are sufficiently separated from functional preferences to completely automate this.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx