Seth Vidal wrote:

AFAICT there is no best number. If someone would like to play with it and tell us what is more sensible it is utterly trivial to set.

I don't think 1day is a good number - it'll drive some folks insane.

Why? We shouldn't be pushing out updates more than once per day. Right?

it doesn't hit the network on every operation. And the cache timeout is documented in the man page.

Yes, it doesn't hit the network on every operation but that's the perception. For operations, it does, it isn't always obvious why. Why does remove hit the network for example? I would like to see such things documented somewhere. It is certainly a FAQ. If we had a reference to point out to users, it would help a lot. Thanks.

Rahul