Robert Scheck wrote:

Of course I understand, that dbus is nice and so on, but I'm not seeing
how it is really useful. Again, the push happens about every 24 hours and
the cache of the downloaded files by yum expires after maybe one hour, if
I am not wrong here. Why do we generate such unnecessary load and traffic?
Because you do not know *when* the update push happens. And there are
third-party repos which sometimes push several updates a day.

maybe true, but do users really need to be so up-to-date? Mirrors also need
time to synchronize, as we learned in this thread, right? I'm still lacking
a good reason why we're checking each yum interaction for updated metadata
as far as I can see.

Being far out-of-date doesn't help avoid doing your update in the middle of a push with mirrors out of sync, or are you proposing some sort of fixed schedule with update blackouts while the mirrors catch up?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx