Re: Fedora Com System ? (was: Package updating problem and solutions)

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Michael Cronenworth wrote:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Fedora Com System ? (was: Package updating problem and solutions)
From: Seth Vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <fedora-devel-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12/12/2008 02:03 PM

How are fedora-announce, the blogs and the webpages NOT this?

We need an applet that notifies users of announce e-mails or some form of libnotify box that says "hey stupid, read this Fedora news." New users typically care less about mailing lists, blogs, and webpages unless they are looking to set up new software like Samba sharing or have a bug like the PackageKit dependency.

From my own experience, I could care less about visiting Fedora web sites daily. Should all end users pour hours of their lives into reading web pages and blogs daily? No, the process should be done for them.

okay, so as much as this makes me cringe I'll suggest something probably crack filled:

- additional metadata file of notices in repodata
- each notice has an id on it
- a yum plugin or pk or what not - records the notices you've seen
- as it finds new ones it emits them for you.

that wouldn't really help us in the situation where an update broke the update system, of course.

-sv