Seth Vidal wrote:

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Nils Philippsen wrote:

Somehow delaying file updates until after a reboot sounds yucky to me,
not only because merely quitting firefox and starting it again would
help in this instance. Perhaps we should find a way where yum/PK would
flag packages which are known to have these issues to the user in the
form of "updating these packages requires you to restart firefox/..."
akin to how we hint users to logout and back in (e.g. update of basic
GNOME packages) or reboot the machine (kernel).

there are multiple ways to do this - the hard part is not the implementation. The hard part is making the list of pkgs for which a restart of the box/app is important.

Doesn't firefox do this by itself in the versions that do their own updates - that is, it tells you that the updates won't take effect until you restart the app? I don't think it gets it completely right even then, though. I've seen the Mac and Windows versions get slow and unresponsive if you keep them running for some time after the update has happened.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx