On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, James Antill wrote:

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 13:45 +0100, Robert Scheck wrote:
 Yum-updatesd could
get a cronjob - I think being up-to-date is nice, but being too up-to-date
can hurt very much for a Fedora user nowadays (e.g. dbus).

The main reason¹ it was a daemon initially is that pirut/pupplet spoke
to it over dbus.
Changing yum-cron to use yum-updatesd --oneshot was on my TODO list a
long time ago, but it turned out to be non-trivial and keep backwards
compat. with both pieces ... so nothing happened to either piece.

¹ One other feature is that we wanted "hourly" but with a random start,
so if everyone turned their computer on at 9am it wouldn't slam the
repo. ... this might be possible in newer cron's though.

Amusingly yum has had this for a long time:

yum -R <minutes>

:)

yum-cron has used it in the past.

I'll be honest the everything-as-its-own-daemon thing is not interesting until you want to do desktop notifications. Only then do you need things to not rely on cron. For servers yum-updatesd and the various daemons don't make a lot of sense. Just having yum-cron run to notify and/or auto-update security updates is pretty reasonable, if you're not going to have set times when you apply updates weekly/biweekly/monthly/quarterly, etc

-sv