Re: Server SIG - work areas

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

 - work on the TUI counterparts of GUI system-config-* tools, should go
in hand with the backend/frontend separation

Just thinking aloud: By "TUI" you mean command line apps with a interactive, ncurses-like interface?

Are those really worth the work? I for one (and a lot of other linux users I know) either use graphical configuration Tools (with or without remote forwarding) or (if there is no graphical environment or in scripts) simple command line configuration tools (without an interactive interface) -- I doubt a third way in the middle (and a second one for text mode configuration) makes much sense. Improving some of the command line configuration tools (those without an interactive interface) OTOH might.

But well, maybe that just my odd point of view.

Having x libs installed and running remotely probably isn't a big deal for most servers, but it does add a lot more gunk to keep updated. However, if there are not text mode alternatives for all of the system-config-* tools, all of the magic they do needs to be documented to the point that everyone can manage with equivalent edits to the underlying config files and snippets under /etc/sysconfig. That is, it should be feasible for someone to manually manage a machine initially following such documentation, then later choose to use yum to pull in the GUI tools and have them find all of the settings in the right places.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx