Re: My (unpleasant) fedora 10 installation experience

Lev Shamardin wrote:
Hi all,

Today the file system on my wife's laptop got corrupted (that's another sad
fedora, kerneloops and tuxonice story) and I decided to reinstall everything
from scratch using Fedora 10 installation DVD. The laptop previously had Fedora
9 installed, so my plan was to reinstall the system and then restore the /home
partition with fsck & co.

The installation process from the DVD went quite smoothly, but when I got to the
first boot there were some surprises. Since I was going to recover /home later,
I was not planning to create any users at the first boot, but skipping the
"Create user" screen required to press the "Use network login..." button and
cancel the dialog, otherwise the firstboot continued to complain that I
definitely need to create a user.

This laptop uses wireless to connect to the internet, and guess what? Is is NOT
yet configured when you are running the firstboot. On the Date & Time screen I
selected "Enable network time protocol", pressed forward, and then hit Cancel on
the "Contacting NTP..." dialog (I supposed that I don't want to wait for the
network timeout) and... Firstboot crashed leaving me with an empty screen with a
mouse cursor on it. Ctrl-Alt-F1/F2/etc. brought me to another empty screen,
without a mouse this time. Fortunately Ctrl-Alt-Del from that mouseless screen
worked fine.

Next boot showed firstboot again allowing to test these bugs and finally get
through them to discover another surprise.

I've selected "Russian" keyboard during the installation process. Usually this
assumed that there are two keyboard layouts (English and Russian) and you can
switch between them with a hotkey. But not in the default state of the GDM after
the first boot. The only option I had was Russian input! I tried all common
layout switch shortcuts but have not managed to find one to switch the layout to
english, but I had to type something in english since I have not created any
users and my root user had both english login name and password. So I had to go
to the menus, search for USA keyboard layout and only after this had a chance to
try login to the system. It really seems to me that these layout defaults are
insane. Is it that common to have non-english login names and passwords, really?

Actually I can answer to that one: Yes it is ! :)

About the installation I also saved my /home while I switched to Fedora 10 from Fedora 9. On the partition screen I said this partition is my /home and on the firstboot I said I want to create user foo. I had a nice popup saying that user "foo" already has a /home folder do you want to use it, or do you want a new one ?" I said I want to keep my /home... Here I was, new F10 no data lost on /home and the same user...

Dunno if that can help you...

Best regards,

Pierre