Re: F11 Proposal: Stabilization

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 17:04 -0500, Michael DeHaan wrote:
Couldn't both the above be solved by 'subscribing' to those sets of
packages via say PackageKit?  That way when PackageKit goes to look for
updates, it only asks for updates for those particular packages.  When
you update, if anything else is needed to satisfy newer builds of those
packages they can be pulled in.

Of course, what we'd likely see is a combo of "Give me all security
updates" and also "Give me updates only for these sets of packages".
The interesting question is how to design UI around the subscriptions.

I think I like this.

In the case of "I just want a newer OpenOffice" and don't touch
everything else, that's already covered by a yum install today -- but we
do need something for the update case(s).

The upside here is that it's purely client side code.  We don't have to
change anything about how we prepare and publish updates.

Just to be clear I'm understanding:

we want to update openoffice and whatever it needs, but nothing else.

or you want to list a set of apps you want newer versions of and as little else as possible?

is that correct?

so it would be like an alias that says:

yum update really means yum update openoffice\* somestuff\*  \
     my_favorite_pkg\*

?

-sv