Re: Broken dependencies in Fedora 9 - 2008-11-14

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 14:45:57 -0500, David Huff wrote:

Michael Schwendt wrote:
Broken packages in fedora-updates-testing-9-ppc64:

    appliance-tools-002.6-1.fc9.noarch  requires  qemu-img
To address this I added "ExclusiveArch: %{ix86} x86_64 ppc alpha sparc armv4l noarch", to the spec [1] which matches the qemu package. I was told that this would prevent the compose tools form adding the appliance-tools rpm to the ppc64 tree.

Why not "ExcludeArch: ppc64"?

Just to offer an outside perspective... IMO ExcludeArch makes sense when a package is generically expected to work, but is known to have problems on specific architectures (i.e. not working is the exception, not the rule). For things like qemu (or valgrind, to give another example) that are highly arch-specific, it makes more sense to list the arches that are supported, even if that results in a longer list.

either way, it was my understanding that both ExclusinveArch and ExcludeArch would work, ie the compose tools will check the srpm and not include the package in a tree if specified in either of these feilds.

Im not sure if switching form ExclusinveArch to ExcludeArch will fix the issue at had.

Any comments, as I would like to run a new build to try and resolve this issue.

-D