Re: starting Fedora Server SIG

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Dan Williams wrote:

I tend to think there will be a place for manual network configuration
for a long time (no matter what jeremy says :), because there are some
situations that are just too borderline to support in the short term, or
are sufficiently borderline that the maintenance cost of adding the
feature outweighs the benefit of the feature in the first place.
There's always a tradeoff to feature addition.

I sure hope so. I routinely have an embedded device plugged into the Ethernet
port on my laptop and have wireless connected to the internal network. The
embedded devices do not always have a dhcp server on them. If I cannot configure
the network manually, now I cannot do my job.

NM in F9 handles this surprisingly well (Thank You). I hope no one decides to break this behavior because they do not happen to use this feature.

Just my $.02.

Regards,

--
Tom Diehl		tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx		Spamtrap address mtd123@xxxxxxxxxxxx