Re: RFC: Fedora Extras shipping ix86 optimized rpms?

Jakub Jelinek wrote:
Well, SSE/SSE2 can help for graphic/video/audio applications.
But there .i686.rpm doesn't help you, either the application
selects whether to use SSE/SSE2 or not at runtime, or the packages can
have separate sse2 and normal libs in one package:
/usr/lib/libfoo.so.1
/usr/lib/sse2/libfoo.so.1

Jakub

IMHO, Ralf's concerns are valid, but it really doesn't matter and this is not a big deal at all. In the majority of cases it does NOT break anything. The software itself is not broken, and our package management tools handle it fine.

Jakub's suggestion here is very good though, and inkscape should look into this for future updates if possible.

Just don't worry about it. We do things on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes it is worth trying even if just to experiment.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx