Re: Insomniac's FC gaim status report

Marius Andreiana wrote:
On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 02:10 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:

While I am unable to sleep despite taking a sleeping pill, I might as well give the status update about gaim in Fedora Core.

Hi Warren, thanks for the updates!

About sleeping, please read this article, it has useful advices
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/07/29/1714236&tid=191&tid=4&tid=14
including not staying in front of computer before going to bed.

There was a time when I thought sleep was an addicition I could somehow break.. in the end, getting a good amount of sleep is important though I am not sure Red Hat's schedules agree. It is very easy at Red Hat to see how much work is to be done and never think you can get it all done.. and so an extra hour here or there is just a sacrifice for the big cause of the company/team/Linux in general.

However after a couple of times starting to hallucinate after 90 hours of awakeness.. getting at least 6 hours a night is important. What I found to be useful on getting sleep done was:

1) Turn off the computers.
2) Put away the computer books.
3) Put away the interesting spycatcher/murder-mystery
4) Take a half-hour->hour walk [having a toddler helps immensely here]
5) Drink a nice glass of warm fluids (non-caffeinated.) Warm water doesnt seem to cut it.
6) Relax for a bit before getting into bed. Meditation, prayer, or just quiet time [hard with a toddler, but possible ;)]
7) Goto bed.
8) If you find out that you cant sleep after 80 minutes because your brain is whirring about bugs, security problems, webserver issues, state of Fedora.us, lack of public CVS, etc... go back to step 4 but increase the time for walking. [getting an exercise bike/walker helps here.]

That helped me the most after I left Red Hat. I wish I had thought of it when I had been there :).

--
Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen@xxxxxxxx
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 | PH: 4-0645