Name/GenericName

Bryan Clark wrote:

The freedesktop.org .desktop file standard already has the ability to distiguish
Name=gaim
GenericName=IM
or
GenericName=Internet Messenger

As you can see from the bug report this is a short term switch,

Short term as in having to wait for FC4 to have this resolved? Or will this be handled before FC3 is released? (The latter, I hope).

For this example:
Name=Gaim Instant Messenger
GenericName=Instant Messenger
which shows silly redundancy (it *should* be Name=Gaim)

once the
menu code is finalized in GNOME then we can continue to go with the
f.d.o spec.

So, this is only to workaround shortcomings in GNOME's menuing? AFAIK, KDE has no problems dealing with Name/GenericName.

There have been many long threads on this topic that don't need to be
relived on this list.  You can search google for things like: "GNOME
menu generic name" to read the previous work.

I know, and I've been trying to argue diligently against it at every opportunity...

-- Rex