Re: hald reading block devices

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 09:12 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > HAL needs to run as root to invoke callouts. See this diagram
> >  http://freedesktop.org/~david/hal-spec/hal-spec.html#ov_hal_linux26
>
> Needs some rights. Root is kind of going away in SELinux.

Sure.

> > and surrounding text for more information, background etc. Presumably we
> > can move to callouts (such as fstab-sync) to a separate helper process
> > and by then drop a lot of privileges etc. Until that happens we need to
> > run as root because the callouts may need privileges.
>
> Yep. So all your callouts touch complex shared files with locking rules
> and possible race attacks (or without sane locking rules sometimes).  Hard
> to avoid though

Not anymore; in hal HEAD (will be out in the next release pretty, some
of it is already in the rawhide version) all callouts per device run
sequentially and a device isn't processed before the callouts from the
parent is complete.

But in general, yeah, if you touch an important file, like /etc/fstab,
you should of course use locking.

> Take a look at how magicdev does things. Magicdev sucks but it does the basic
> open device, unlock door and poll stuff although it doesn't use the newer
> media stuff

Hmm, IIRC hal does basically pretty much the same as magicdev. Would the
newer media stuff mean that we can indeed detect media changes without
ruining everything?

Btw, Alan, please file a bug against hal so we can it to work with your
cd changer or at least make sure that it doesn't screw anything up the
way you describe.

Thanks,
David