Re: multihomed NFS automounts.

Huw Lynes wrote:
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:18:20 -0500
"Jeremy A. Rosengren" <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry for the detail, I want to make sure my question is understood :)

At the office, we use NIS automounts extensively. Quite often, we'll have the same data mirrored in multiple offices, located in different physical buildings. The automounter in Solaris supports multihomed automount maps, so that a client machine will try to mount the closest server (ie, on its subnet) first before trying others. For example:

#ypcat -k auto_project
project1	fileserver1,fileserver2:/vol/vol0/data/project1

It looks to me like this functionality is already contained in recent releases of autofs. From /usr/share/doc/autofs-4.1.3/README.replicated-server

Supported forms for mount paths are:

Normal single-host (these are unchanged)
<path> host:/path/path

Multiple replicated hosts, same path:
<path> host1,host2,hostn:/path/path

This will do an initial RPC call with a .1 second timeout to all hosts to find best match. If this fails, it will try a 10 second timeout, if this fails it takes the first host.

Multiple hosts, some with same path, some with another
<path> host1,host2:/blah host3:/some/other/path

Works as expected

Multiple replicated hosts, different (potentially) paths:
<path> host1:/path/pathA host2:/path/pathB

Same as above with RPC calls..

Interesting -- I didn't even look in /usr/share/doc/autofs-4.1.3 since this doesn't work in FC2 for a few particular automounts that I have. I assumed there was still no support because of that.

Thanks,

-- jeremy